Stretch Your Neck with Neck Release on the Foam Roller
Neck release with the foam roller is an exercise that I found in the [easyazon_link identifier=”B003ODHO7C” locale=”US” tag=”custpilandyog-20″]Ellie Herman Pilates with props book[/easyazon_link]. Although I’m sure I had tried it at some point, I had completely forgotten about it until I started re-reading the book for inspiration.
This very easy, very basic exercise reminds me of using lacrosse balls to massage the back of my skull. Previously, I shared that I’m using lacrosse balls to massage the back of my skull and top of my neck to help get rid of my weather-related headaches.
This massage with the foam roller is slightly less intense, but still very beneficial. Here’s more about this very helpful foam roller exercise.
- Begin on your back with the foam roller beneath your neck and the back of your skull.
- Breathe continuously throughout this exercise.
- Take a moment to rotate your pelvis to neutral and engage your abdominals.
- Alternate turning your head to the right and left. Take your time. As you turn your head, feel how the muscles at the back of your skull press in to the foam roller.
- Complete as many repetitions as you want, just make sure to do as much on the left as you did on the right.
Finding a Foam Roller
If you want to order a foam roller, I recommend the OPTP brand foam roller. Their foam rollers are firm and don’t dent or bend easily. It’s crucial for your foam roller to be firm and stay the same shape throughout its use.
Foam rollers are a great tool to elevate your Pilates mat work, but they’re also wonderful self-massage tools. Here’s a link to some foam roller stretches.
Neck Release Video
Here is a video for visual learners.
What do you think of this exercise? Can you feel a massage on the back of your neck as you move your head from side to side? Let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading this article. If you enjoy the information supplied, please consider supporting this website!
Sign up for my newsletter to get more tips for health and happiness! Also, you can find me on Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest as Custom Pilates and Yoga.