Marichyasana C–A Twist for Everybody
Marichyasana C, or the Marichi twist, is a very accessible twisting yoga posture. In fact, because it is so accessible, it’s possible that you’ve done it before as part of your stretches after a gym or fitness class. Because the legs remain parallel, the hips feel freer and hip tightness doesn’t impact our ability to rotate.
So, it’s possible that this pose will allow you to experience a deeper rotation. This is great because even people with rigid spines can experience the benefits of abdominal massage, a reset for the central nervous system, and improved spinal health with this twisting pose.
- Use ujjayi breathing.
- Begin in Dandasana.
- Bend your right knee so the sole of your right foot is on the mat.
- Inhale and reach your left arm toward the ceiling so you can get length through your spine.
- Exhale and rotate toward your right knee. Bend your left elbow and anchor the back of your left elbow against the outside of your right knee.
- Let your right arm reach slightly behind you to help encourage your spinal rotation. Make sure you are up on your fingertips to help maintain the spinal lift through the top of your head.
- Hold here for 5-8 breaths.
- To unwind, release the connection between your elbow and knee to rotate back to center. Return to Dandasana.
- Complete steps 3-8 for the other side.
Marichyasana C Video
Thank you so much for reading. If you find my information valuable, please support this website. With your support, I can gather and share more wonderful information about how to correctly and safely practice yoga poses.
Here is a video for visual learners.
What is your favorite way to rotate? Let us know in the comments below.
Sign up for our newsletter to get more tips for health and happiness! Also, you can find us on Facebook, YouTube and Pinterest as Custom Pilates and Yoga.