When you practice Bridge with your feet on the floor, you have stability from two areas–your hands and your feet. By placing a foam roller under your feet, you remove a source of stability. This increases the challenge for your abdominals, adductors, gluteus maximus, and hamstrings; making this exercise great for core strengthening and relieving back pain.
As you practice this exercise, pay attention to keeping the foam roller stable. Notice how it moves if certain muscles quit working.
Bridge with a Foam Roller
- Begin on your back with your knees bent. Place the arches of your feet on the foam roller hip-width apart. Your arms are by your sides with your palms facing down.
- Make sure your pelvis is neutral.
- Use traditional Pilates breathing.
- Inhale in to the sides of the ribs.
- Exhale and let your belly button move toward your spine. Transition through Imprint. Then, increase the tilt of your pelvis and roll one vertebrae at a time to lift your hips up off the floor.
- At this point, you should be a straight diagonal line from your knees to your shoulders. Keep your hips lifted.
- Inhale here and hold.
- As you exhale, draw your belly button toward your spine and keep the activity in your glutes and adductors.
- Take another inhale.
- As you exhale, let your rib cage melt toward the floor. Then, slowly move one vertebrae at a time back to the mat. Finish by returning you pelvis back to neutral.
- Complete 5-7 reps.
Finding a Foam Roller
If you want to order a foam roller, I recommend the [easyazon_link identifier=”B001UI0C36″ locale=”US” tag=”custpilandyog-20″]OPTP brand foam roller[/easyazon_link]. Their foam rollers are firm and don’t dent or bend easily. It’s crucial for your foam roller to be firm and stay the same shape throughout its use.
Foam rollers are a great tool to elevate your Pilates mat work, but they’re also wonderful self-massage tools. Here’s a link to some foam roller stretches.
Bridge with a Foam Roller Video
Here is a video for visual learners.
Which muscles do you feel the most when you practice Bridge with a foam roller? Let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading this article. If you enjoy the information supplied, please consider supporting this website!