When Joseph Pilates created his regimen, he incorporated elements of dance. In both the execution of the exercise and the technique, you can see the influence of ballet. Although Joseph Pilates didn’t create exercises in conjunction with the foam roller, I believe he would have approved of Around the world on the foam roller.
For those who have studied ballet, you will recognize this as part of a ronde de jambe. However, instead of having your supporting foot on the floor, it’s on an unstable foam roller. Here’s more about how to practice this thigh-trimming, glute-toning exercise.
Around the World on the Foam Roller
- If you have balance issues, tight feet, or if this is your first time practicing this exercise; make sure you set your roller up near a wall or another stable surface such as a table.
- Place your roller on the floor.
- Stand in the center of the roller so that as you shift your weight forward and backward, your roller rolls in the opposite direction.
- Come back to a centered position.
- Use Pilates breathing throughout.
- Feel your left leg press the roller away from you as your right leg starts to feel lighter.
- When you feel like you can lift your right leg, reach it in front of you. You can have the leg turned out from the hip (as you would in ballet) or you can keep it in parallel with your kneecap facing forward. Both ways are good for strengthening important leg muscles.
- Draw a half-circle from directly in front of you to directly behind you while keeping your balance.
- As your leg moves behind you, feel the squeeze in your glutes.
- Switch sides. Repeat steps 5-10 so that the right leg balances as the left leg moves.
Finding a Foam Roller
If you want to order a foam roller, I recommend the. Their foam rollers are firm and don’t dent or bend easily. It’s crucial for your foam roller to be firm and stay the same shape throughout its use.
Foam rollers are a great tool to elevate your Pilates mat work, but they’re also wonderful self-massage tools. Here’s a link to some foam roller stretches.
Around the World on the Foam Roller Video
Here is a video for visual learners.
What do you think of practicing your ballet on the foam roller? How did you like Around the world on the foam roller? Let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading this article. If you enjoy the information supplied, please consider supporting this website!