It’s Valentine’s Day–the day of love and affection. Often, when thinking of this day, we think about the ways we show love to other people. The truth is, you need love just as much as the next guy!
That’s why I’m including tips for ways to show love to other people as well as to yourself. This year, try showing the people you love (including yourself) how much you care by doing something thoughtful. Try to choose something that would be the most meaningful for that person.
You might be aware that there’s a book called The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman. In his book, he notes that the love languages are: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service, and Physical Touch.
Each person values these love languages differently. For example, someone who values quality time may not really care about the watch you bought them. This is why it’s important to be thoughtful when you’re deciding the best way to show someone love.
You’ll see the love languages reflected in these suggestions.
- Give a sincere compliment.
- Surprise your special someone by making (or ordering) his or her favorite dinner.
- When your special someone talks, take note. Ask questions to show that you’re listening and want to know more.
- And, while you’re listening, take note of any thing that they say they want or need. Then, go buy it and surprise them with it.
- If there are any chores that your special someone hates doing, do those chores for them.
- Offer to give foot or back massages.
- For bonus points, offer to give a massage while the person talks about his or her day and you simply massage and listen.
- Introduce your special someone to people who are important to you like your friends and family.
- Tell your special someone what you like best about them and why they’re important to you.
- Give a great big hug (or kiss, if it’s appropriate).
It’s easy to look at the love languages and think, Well, that won’t really help me show love to myself. The heck you say! If you know what your love language is, you’ve got it made! Here are some ways to show yourself some love:
- Spontaneously do something that you’ve been wanting to do.
- As they say on Parks and Rec, “Treat yo self!” Go get yourself a nice present or go have a massage or nice meal–it’s whatever you want!
- Turn off your phone, turn on your stereo, grab some wine, and take a bubble bath.
- Go volunteer. I know that this sounds like a contradiction to do something for someone else when we’re trying to practice self love. However, often doing things for others provides such a rewarding feeling that you’re still doing something for yourself.
- Write what you like best about yourself on sticky notes and leave them in fun places around the house or in your car.
- Do something you love.
- Exercise or practice self-massage to keep your body feeling good. I recommend The Orb massage ball as a good self-massage tool.
- Make (or buy) your favorite meal.
- Learn more about yourself. You can read self-help books, practice mind/body awareness, or meditate. Take the time to really get to know yourself and what you like and want out of life.
- Forgive yourself. Think of something you may have said or done (or maybe it’s something that you’re currently doing) that upsets you. Now, forgive yourself for that and move on.
How do you show love? Let us know in the comments below.
Thank you for reading this article. If you enjoy the information supplied, please consider supporting this website!